The Royal Wedding

May 18, 2018

Unless you have been living under a rock, then you will be well-aware that tomorrow, 19th May 2018, is the royal wedding of Prince Harry and Meghan Markle. It seems that it's the only story the media are wanting to give coverage of at the moment. You'd think they were living in a bubble when there are plenty of horrific events occurring which aren't being reported upon, all because of the royal wedding. But, do I agree with the wedding itself? No, absolutely not.

First things first, I'm not a royal family fan. Call me unpatriotic, but I genuinely am not interested in any form. Some British people believe you cannot get any more British than the Royal Family, even our friends across the pond in America love them. However, no, they don't strike my attention in the slightest. Kate Middleton is pregnant with Prince William's baby? Cool. The Queen's Jubilee? Ok. Prince William and Kate Middleton's wedding? Cheers for the bank holiday. And once again, I'm not into the whole phenomenon. In fact, I completely disagree with their actions.

Lets set the scene and start with statistics. According to the BBC, the couple have invited 600 guests, and an additional 200 guests for their evening reception. Their wedding is set to be held in Windsor; the streets are predicted to be crowded with 100,000 people outside, and 1,200 members of the public will be in the grounds of Windsor. Add the numbers up, and you'll see there's an enormous number of people expected to attend the service. That of course, will require food, decorations, seats and a whole load more. I don't know about you, but all I'm seeing is money signs right now. Oh, and don't forget, there will be mighty security there throughout too.

Who will pay for the wedding? You sitting right there. Yes, taxpayers money is funding for the two, essentially wedding them for nothing as they don't need to dig into their pockets. The Independent estimate that the costs will calculate to around £30 million worth of taxpayers money. THIRTY-MILLION. Think what this money could be used for, elsewhere. How about tackling homelessness on the streets? Housing ex-service men after they return from fighting for their own country? The security costs alones are estimated to cost around £24 million. Prince William's security was between £10-£20 million - Prince Harry and Meghan are upping their security due to the high threat levels within the past year and a half to two years, especially with regards to terrorism.

It seems to me that the pair are going wild with the budget - then again, they don't have a budget. They're spending money like there's no tomorrow, and as if it wouldn't be best spent elsewhere. For example, they're spending, wait for it, a predicted £50,000 on a cake. 50 grand for a bit of grub. Isn't that just a bit unnecessary? £90,000 for trumpets. TRUMPETS. No need.

Never would I expected myself to say this, but I'm actually glad I'm working a 9-6 shift, because it means I'm working and not need to worry about finding something other than wedding coverage on the TV - I know TV schedules will be chocoblock with live updates. Call me negative, but I just think it's so sad to think all this money is spent on a wedding when in the UK, over 300,000 people are homeless - the equivalent to one in every 200 people - and as of December 2017, 14 million people in the UK lived in poverty - the equivalent to one in every 5 people. Maybe we should help our own nation firstly.


You Might Also Like

0 comments