Clothing Sizes

March 30, 2018

The average women in the UK wears a size 16 in clothing. In saying that, clothing sizes vary from store to store. How a size 10 is produced for Primark is completely different to a size 10 in New Look. Even the style of an item varies; you could have two tops but they’re different sizes.

The negative impact this can have on self confidence is immense. Typically, I’m a size 8-10, so any time I go shopping and I go to try something on, I always pick up the two sizes to try. I’ve been loving Primark’s trouser range lately, and I found a really cute pair of pink so I naturally picked up an 8 and a 10 to try. I was shocked when I couldn’t even get the trousers on over my thighs - I wouldn’t say I have massive thighs but still, it’s destructive. Needless to say the 10 wasn’t much better. Another time when I was in New Look, I tried on a size 10 pair of trousers and I was disgusted when I couldn’t even get the trousers over my ankles. Shocking.

With sizes varying, millions of women often need to buy a clothing item in a larger size. I know that I, personally, despise having to buy a clothing item in a larger size because I know fine well that it’s not my size. It does make you feel a bit miserable. I know for a fact I’m not alone in saying this as many women will be in agreement with me here. Then, of course, buying a smaller size does miraculous things, because it makes you feel super confident being able to fit into a smaller size than usual.

Linking back to the average women comment, a point which I discovered online whilst researching was the lack of “average” size models. Think of models you see in catalogues, online whilst shopping and social media. 9/10 times, the models are relatively petite built and slim, my estimates being that they’re a size 4, 6 or 8. In effect, this isn’t going to be a positive note for women, especially combined with the varying sizes. We need diversity within modelling; including weight, height and race.

I’ve seen the uproar on twitter numerous times, and that is what clothing companies class as plus size. It’s diabolical to say the least. Some of the models have hips, but aren’t plus sized in the slightest. But, the worst part is when the company stocks the clothing item in their clothing section and plus sizes section, but the two items are two opposite prices. Why? I wish I knew. It’s unfair. As soon as something is classed as plus size, they stick a few extra pounds onto the price. A size 6 is the same price as a size 14 but then once something is plus size, it’s a new price again. Inequality at its finest.

Bra sizes are the same. How one woman can wear a size 32A then a 34D in a different store baffles me. Sizes, whether they are clothing or bras, should remain the same across the board. Not only would it make women feel happy and confident in their own skin, but also make shopping a hell of a lot easier. One size for you, always. But, at the end of the day, don’t let the numbers get you down.

You Might Also Like

6 comments

  1. I’m classed as “plus size” and have been since I was about 14/15 (I’m now 23) - in this time I’ve learned to see clothing sizes just as numbers and not get caught up on it. In my wardrobe I have size 12 tops AND size 20 ๐Ÿคจ it’s all down to the style and fit of the top in my opinion! I do find it frustrating though that, like you said, the average UK woman wears a size 14/16, yet companies only use size 6/8/10 modes - they’re not really appealing to the majority, are they? ๐Ÿค”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Numbers surround us with every aspect so we need to just overlook them with regards to sizes etc! I completely agree, it’s impossible to have one clothing size because I vary so much, and each store is different too!

      Delete
  2. You have an amazing figure Jasmine and look incredible all the time. ๐Ÿ’–๐Ÿ’–๐Ÿ’–

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such an important thing to write about. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel it’s a topic worthy of discussion. Something needs to happen!

      Delete