Valentines Day - It Is An Insignificant Day?

February 16, 2018

Wednesday was Valentines Day. 14th February is a day where you’re supposed to show your other half how much you love them. Unless you’ve been living under a rock then you’ll have seen the gifts people received splashed all over social media. Every time I opened Twitter there was some form of valentine post. But, is it really a significant day or a marketing plan? 

For me, I don’t get it. My brain can’t comprehend why we need a specific date in order to show how much someone means to you. Why wait till the 14th to take them out for a meal or spoil them with presents? Why not do it right now, tomorrow or whenever? It’s not as if you need to wait for society’s approval. It’s absolutely not all about the gifts (no occasion is), but why does it make buying a bunch of flowers or box of chocolates that bit more special on the 14th rather than the 15th, 16th etc? 

Of course, I don’t object to couples appreciating each other, do it on social media all you want but chances are, I’ll scroll past. Call me a Valentines Day “Scrooge” if you wish. But, it’s just another day to me. Send a cute text whenever, go out together anytime. It doesn’t mean that it’s not as special because it’s not Valentines Day. 

Some individuals find V-Day a particularly gloomy day. They may not have anyone special in their life, so they feel really lonely whilst others are together. They may begin to feel low about themselves, wondering why they’re single and ask themselves what is wrong with them. Knowing this is really upsetting because society is making them feel this way; that the 14th February is a day to feel appreciated. The worst part for people is when all their friends are in relationships but they aren’t; that’s when it hurts most. 

I’ve never had a Valentines. But, I know that I don’t need a silly card or box of chocolates or bunch of roses to value my self worth. Maybe it’d be nice to go out for a meal with someone, but I can do it whenever with my pals, or family. Gift wise, I don’t want them. I just feel it’s a marketing strategy. A money maker for the shops. Roses, chocolates, giant teddies etc. Honestly, it just does nothing for me. Saying that, I do love some chocolate if you’re wishing to buy me anything... (joking). 

If you truly love someone, tell them. Show them. Do whatever to prove to them how much they mean to you. One day a year to show someone you love them is poor. Life is too short so appreciate that special someone. Don’t wait around. Say those three words (I love you, just in case you forgot), and if you really want, spoil them. And, if you’re into the appreciation posts on social media, fire ahead. Don’t let a date determine your relationship. 

You Might Also Like

2 comments